Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Why a Blog...

...because when I'm doing research I constantly want to write or phone my collaborators to share what I'm finding to see how it fits their work. This can be a way to keep it all in one place: what I want to say and how you wish to respond.

Iris gave me as a first task to reconstruct the black clubwomen scene in San Jose. That appears to begin with Sarah Massey Overton and the Garden City Women's Club between 1906 and 1908. The tribute to Sarah Overton on pages 232 and 233 in Negro Trail Blazers was written in 1914 by Sarah Severance, a white woman and a fellow member of San Jose's Political Equality Club. This suffrage organization numbered among its members all the most prominent professional women of San Jose at the time (See Ten Years in Paradise, p. 75).

Concerning the McCall collection: Did we know that Sarah Overton's son Charles was a professional photographer? That's what he told the census taker between 1900 and 1930. I'll follow up more with that in his obituary and in the city directories.

No comments: